Under Florida law, property owners have certain legal obligations to ensure the safety of visitors, customers and patrons while on their property. When owners are negligent in maintaining the safety of their premises, serious injuries can occur.
Personal Injuries and Premises Liability in Winter Haven
If you were injured due to the negligence of a property owner, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your pain and suffering, past and future lost wages, and medical expenses. To find out more, call Rivas Law Group at 877-299-5539. The Winter Haven premises liability attorneys at Rivas Law Group have extensive experience handling premises liability cases for clients in Winter Haven, Lakeland, Plant City and other Central Florida communities.
Our attorneys have successfully represented clients in a wide range of premises liability suits, including those arising from:
- Slips, trips and falls
- Elevator accidents
- Broken stairs
- Unsafe building conditions
- Poor premise maintenance
- Code violations
- Swimming pool accidents
- Falling objects
- Balcony collapses
- Parking lot mishaps
- Negligent supervision at schools and day care
- School bus accidents
- Dog bites
- Exposure to hazardous substances
Property Owners are Responsible for Providing Adequate Security
Providing adequate security to visitors is another responsibility of the property owner. Poorly maintained locks and windows, as well as a lack of surveillance cameras or security personnel, can allow trespassers and stray animals to enter the property. Horrific crimes such as rape, assault, robbery and murder can result. Property owners can be held liable for crimes committed by third parties on their property.
How Do I Know if I Have a Premises Liability Claim?
It’s important to mention that just because you were injured on someone’s property doesn’t necessarily mean the property owner was negligent. And just because a property has not been properly maintained and there are premises safety issues, does not mean the property owner is automatically negligent.
In order to win a premises liability suit in Florida, you must prove that:
- The owner knew about the unsafe conditions on their property.
- The owner failed to correct the safety problems.
- You suffered an injury due to these unsafe conditions.
The court will also take into account the circumstances leading to the accident and determine the level of responsibility the property owner has to the injured party, based on why they were on the property. Visitors to a property are typically grouped into three categories:
- Invitees enter a property by an express or implied invitation to do so. Business invitees are persons on the property for business purposes. These include business guests, contractors, etc. There are also public invitees, such as a store’s customers or a restaurant’s diners.
- Licensees are visiting a property at the owner’s invitation. These include social guests, whether they were invited over or just stopped by.
- Trespassers are uninvited or unwanted visitors. Generally, unless they willfully inflict harm on the trespasser, a property owner has no duty of care to them.
Compensation in Winter Haven Premise Liability Cases
Rivas Law Group can help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve for the damages resulting from your injuries. We have helped clients injured in Winter Haven premise liability accidents recover damages related to:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills – present and future
- Loss of income
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Medical Devices
- Diminished ability to earn a living
- Permanent disability
- Mental and emotional anguish
Our premises liability cases are handled on a contingency basis. That means there are no up-front costs to our clients if we accept their case. We only collect our fee after we’ve won the case.
Speak With an Experienced Winter Haven Premises Liability Lawyer
Have you been injured while on somebody else’s property? Were those injuries caused by failure on the part of the property owner to maintain safe conditions on their property? Don’t hesitate to seek legal help in getting the compensation you deserve for the damages resulting from your injuries. Contact an experienced Winter Haven injury lawyer today at 877-299-5539 to schedule a free consultation meeting to discuss your case.