A slip and fall accident can quite literally put you on your back, wondering what just happened and what you should do next.
Although no one ever expects that they’ll be injured in a slip and fall accident, it’s important to know what steps you should take to give yourself the best chance of recovering compensation for your medical expenses and suffering.
Take These Steps If You Are Involved in a Slip and Fall Injury
If you’re involved in a slip and fall injury, there are a few steps you should take immediately. Below are those important steps to avoid liability issues.
- Seek medical attention. The first—and most important—thing you should do after a slip and fall accident is to seek medical attention, even if you don’t think you were seriously hurt. Some injuries, such as a minor concussion, might not immediately exhibit symptoms, so you should be examined by a medical professional. Keep in mind that having documentation of your injuries will also help your case.
- Get the contact information of anyone who saw you fall. If you fell in a public place like a store or restaurant, ask other patrons or employees who witnessed the accident for their names, addresses, and telephone numbers in case you need them to testify in your case. You should gather this information as soon after the accident occurs as you can, since witnesses may have other obligations and need to leave.
- Let the property owner know about your accident. You’ll need to report the accident to the property owner or manager if you fall in a public place, or your landlord if you fall on a rental property. If you fall in a private home that you’ve been invited into, you should also let the homeowner know, but don’t engage in an argument or immediately start blaming them for the accident. Keep calm, and wait to talk to your personal injury lawyer before you decide what legal actions to take.
- Take pictures. Use your phone or a disposable camera to take pictures of the dangerous condition that caused your fall. This is another thing you need to do as soon as possible, since the property owner might repair the dangerous area once you leave in an attempt to avoid liability.
- Call an accident attorney. You’ll want to contact an accident attorney who has experience with personal injury law before you talk to your insurance company or give an extensive statement to the property owner. Do not sign any paperwork from your insurance company before having your personal injury lawyer look at it, as your insurer may offer you coverage for the initial treatment but try to get you to waive your right to file a claim against them.
Get Help From a Florida Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
What should I do if I fall? Who do I talk to? What information should I gather and preserve? These are some of the questions you probably have after a slip and fall in Florida.
Make sure you are as detailed as possible in explaining the accident and your injury to your personal injury lawyer. In order to recover compensation, you and your lawyer will have to prove that a dangerous condition on the property caused your accident and that the property owner knew or could reasonably have been expected to know about the condition. By gathering evidence, such as pictures, witness testimony, and medical records, you’ll have an easier time doing this.
If you’ve been involved in a slip and fall accident, call a lawyer at the Rivas Law Group at 877-299-5539 as soon as possible to start putting together your case.