If you have recently been in an accident, you are probably still in shock and need some time to process the incident. You may not realize the severity of your injuries at first. But when the adrenaline wears off, you may be in more pain than you had imagined. It can take weeks or months before you fully realize the amount of impact the injury has on your life. Learn when you should file a personal injury claim.
In severe cases, you may require ongoing treatment and you may not know how long it will take for you to recover. So then how do you know how much compensation you will require for your injuries? If another party was responsible for your accident, when would be the best time to file an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit?
The personal injury attorneys at Rivas Law Group, recommend that you get the process started as quickly as possible, especially if you are still receiving medical treatment for your injuries. Once you are ready to submit your case to court, there are certain guidelines to follow and deadlines to meet. Do not accept a personal injury settlement before you have been able to fully assess the extent of your injuries and damages.
Post-Accident Checklist – Do These Things After an Accident in Florida
Getting into an accident in Florida is frightening for many people. The first thing that comes to mind is the damage your car and belongings may have suffered. But what most people don’t think about or don’t realize is that after an accident, there are things you should do as quickly as possible to reduce further damage to yourself and others involved in the accident. Here are things you should do right after your accident.
- First and foremost, take care of yourself and get well enough to assess the situation rationally! Seek medical treatment as soon as possible after any type of accident, whether injuries are immediately evident or not. Sometimes serious injuries have no obvious signs.
- Collect evidence regarding the accident. Police reports, witness statements, and photographs can be helpful.
- List all expenses you have been accruing since the accident, such as medical bills, hospital visits, lost wages, etc.
- Gather contact information for witnesses to the accident and get in touch with them to get a detailed report.
- If you speak to other people who were involved in the accident, make sure you take notes of the conversation. Do not admit fault or apologize for the accident.
- Contact a personal injury attorney soon after the accident and make sure your injuries are documented by a medical professional.
Is There a Time Limit to File Your Accident Case in a Florida Court?
If you don’t know the answer to the question, “What is the time limit to file a case in court?” it can be very frustrating. Time is of the essence in a personal injury claim or lawsuit in Florida. Often when an auto accident occurs there is pressure on the person who was hit by the car to fix their vehicle as soon as possible. Insurance companies place pressure on their insured to settle quickly and cheaply. The insurance company works hard to settle with drivers insured by them because those are the cases they can easily negotiate with, instead of hard fought cases with people who did not buy insurance from them.
State law determines the statute of limitations for your personal injury case, and it may vary depending on the type of accident you have been victim to. In general, there is a 4 year time frame to file a personal injury claim in Florida, though getting started as soon as possible is the best way to avoid losing evidence and witness testimony.
Get Help From a Florida Accident Attorney
After a Florida car accident, drivers and passengers are left with a lot of questions. How will you pay medical bills? Will your insurance go up? How can you get back to work? But these are only a few of the many questions that must be dealt with after a serious car crash. Florida residents need to know how they can get help, and fast. In an accident, the best way to get compensation is to ask for it. Getting the help of a car accident attorney in Florida will help you get what you deserve and your insurance company won’t be able to get away with underpaying you.
For more information regarding your personal injury claim, please contact Rivas Law Group. We have offices in Lakeland, Winter Haven, and Lutz and are looking forward to hearing to discussing your case with you. Schedule a free consultation with us today!