Tania Rivas and the Rivas Law Group want to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season! With all the concerns about keeping this year’s holidays COVID-free, it’s still important to keep potentially dangerous toys out of the hands of kids.
Christmas toys are intended to be fun, entertaining and teaching, but far too many have hidden hazards that could put children at serious risk of injury. According to the latest statistics from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there were an estimated 226,100 toy-related injuries in the U.S. in 2018. 43 children died as a result of toy-related accidents between 2016 and 2018. Sadly, many of these toy-related injuries and deaths could have been prevented.
Inaccurate or missing warning labels, small parts, pointed parts, strings, projectiles, sharp edges, and toxic substances are just a few of the toy-related dangers that could put children at risk. Some toys also encourage unsafe or aggressive behavior that could lead to injuries.
The “10 Worst Toys of 2020” List
Each year, the World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (W.A.T.C.H.), a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting children from harm by educating the public about potentially dangerous children’s products, releases its “10 Worst Toys” list. This year’s “10 Worst Toys” list identifies several hazards presented by popular toys that you may not be aware of.
Here’s the full “10 Worst Toys of 2020” list and why they appear on the list:
- Calico Critters Nursery Friends: Small parts present potential choking hazards.
- Missile Launcher: On the list because of the potential for head, face, and eye injuries. Small parts may present a choking hazard.
- Marvel Avengers Vibranium Power FX Claw: These Black Panther-inspired claws have the potential to cause head, face, and eye injuries. The manufacturer warns against hitting or swinging at people or animals.
- Gloria Owl: The toy’s long, fiber-like hair isn’t always securely rooted, making it prone to “shedding.” The shed hair has the potential to cause ingestion or aspiration injuries.
- WWE Jumbo Superstar Fists: Marketed to enable 3-year-old children to emulate pro wrestling “superstars,” there are no warnings or cautions provided regarding the potential for blunt force or impact injuries. Adult supervision is recommended.
- Scientific Explorer Sci-Fi Slime: Potential for chemical-related injuries; the manufacturer warns that some contents may cause eye, skin, and respiratory irritation. They also warn that the product is harmful if swallowed.
- The Original Boomerang Interactive Stunt UFO: On the list because of the product’s potential for cutting and propeller-related injuries.
- Boom City Racers: In addition to head, eye, and face injuries, the manufacturer also warns of potential hearing damage due to the sounds the cars make.
- My Sweet Love Lots of Love Babies Minis: Small part accessories present potential ingestion and choking hazards.
- Star Wars Mandalorian Darksaber: This product is made of rigid plastic, with the potential to cause serious impact injuries to the head and body. Also encourages aggressive play.
WATCH cautions that the toys that appear on their “10 Worst Toys of 2020” list aren’t the only potentially dangerous toys on the market. When selecting toys for the kids on your gift list, remember to choose age-appropriate toys, encourage safe play, provide the proper supervision when needed, and check to make sure you purchase toys from reputable manufacturers and sellers.
Nothing Spoils the Holidays More Than a Toy-Related Injury
A toy-related injury can do more than just ruin the holidays; the emotional and financial challenges resulting from the injury could last a life-time. If your child was injured as a result of an unsafe toy, you have a right to seek compensation for the damages caused by their injuries.
Winter Haven personal injury lawyer Tania Rivas help the families of children who have been injured as a result of unsafe toys and other types of negligence. One of the problems with dangerous toy injury claims is that in a lot of cases, there are often many parties who share responsibility for the child’s injuries, including the retailer and manufacturer. Tania has the experience and expertise to identify all responsible parties to ensure you get the maximum award you and your family deserve.
Contact the Rivas Law Group to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with Tania to discuss your case.