A trucking accident can be a life-changing event not only for those involved but also for their immediate family. Accidents with larger vehicles often result in serious, even fatal, injuries and can be a quite traumatic experience. If you have been in an accident with a negligent truck driver, the Winter Haven truck accident attorneys at Rivas Law Group are here to help you fight for compensation for your injuries and financial damages.
Although commercial truck drivers have to go through special training and are required to obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL), road safety statistics show the alarming rate of truck accidents. In 2013, just over 3,800 accidents with large trucks involved were reported in the State of Florida. Accidents can be caused for various reasons, including lack of experience and training, fatigue due to excessive working hours, drug and alcohol use, as well as stress and time pressure.
Common Reasons Why Truck Accidents Happen
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration categorizes the reasons for trucking accidents as follows:
- Recognition – The driver was distracted by texting or talking on the phone.
- Non-performance – The driver was unable to fulfill driving duties as a result of fatigue, seizures or other physical impairments.
- Decision-making skills – The driver did not drive with caution, exceeded the speed limit or followed too closely behind another vehicle.
- Performance – The driver panicked and was unable to maintain control over the vehicle.
Associated Factors for Trucking Accidents
Additional factors contributing to accidents involving large trucks as listed by the FMCSA include from the most to the least common:
- Inadequate awareness of surroundings
- Use of non-prescription drugs
- Violation of yielding regulations
- Uneven terrain in a construction zone
- Unfamiliarity with the roadway
- Underestimating unfavorable weather conditions
- Use of prescription drugs
- Traffic jams caused by congestion or previous accidents
- Brake issues
How to Avoid Accidents With Large Trucks
When sharing the road with large vehicles, both rigs and passenger trucks, Winter Haven Truck Accident Attorneys urge you to take the following precautions to prevent truck accidents if at all possible:
- Do not rush when merging into traffic.
- Make sure you leave the trucker’s blind spot as quickly as possible.
- Be careful and stay alert when changing lanes.
- Maintain a safe distance between vehicles when passing.
- Try not to drive between two trucks and do not follow them too closely.
- Be courteous and always on the look-out for potential road hazards.
- Follow common road safety procedures.
Trucking companies and their insurance companies often times send crash response teams to the accident scene to start building their defense immediately as critical evidence can be captured at this time. Shouldn’t you have an advocate doing the same for you?
The Winter Haven personal injury attorneys at Rivas Law Group have dealt with a variety of truck accident cases and have represented numerous victims of negligent truckers. We are here to help you! Call us today at (863) 299-5539 and schedule an appointment for a free consultation with us today!