Trucking accidents can be life-altering for the victims and their immediate family. Due to the size and power of the vehicles involved, many trucking accidents result in major damages as well as life-threatening or traumatic injuries that require special, long-term care.
If you have been a victim of an accident involving a negligent truck driver, the Lutz truck accident attorneys at Rivas Law Group are here to help you obtain fair compensation for your damages and suffering.
Commercial truck drivers are required to take special driving courses and go through extensive training before they can obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Truck drivers should know their vehicle well and be prepared for unfavorable road conditions. While in theory that may hold true, accidents with medium and heavy trucks involved happen at an alarming rate. In 2013, the State of Florida alone reported just over 3,800 truck accidents.
Lutz Truck Accidents: Why Do They Happen?
Despite their extensive training, truck drivers can make mistakes. The most common reasons for truck accidents can be categorized as something a truck driver failed to do while operating a commercial vehicle, including the following:
- Non-performance – The trucker was physically unable to operate a vehicle at the time of the accident due to fatigue, seizures or other impairments.
- Recognition – The trucker was distracted by texting or talking on the phone.
- Decision-making skills – The trucker made poor choices related to his driving, such as not adhering to the speed limit or not maintaining caution on the road.
- Performance – The trucker panicked and lost control over the vehicle.
Additional factors contributing to accidents involving large trucks as listed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration ranging from most to least common include
- Distraction/Inability to judge surroundings accurately
- Use of non-prescription or prescription drugs
- Violation of traffic rules
- Unexpected road hazards
- Unfamiliarity with the roadway
- Underestimating unfavorable weather conditions
- Traffic congestion and accident scenes
- Brake issues
How Other Drivers Can Avoid Truck Accidents
When sharing the road with large vehicles, the Lutz truck accident attorneys at Rivas Law Group urge you to take the following precautions to prevent truck accidents if at all possible:
- Be careful when changing lanes and do not race a truck while doing so.
- Stay out of the truck driver’s blind spot.
- When passing a vehicle, do not cut directly in front of them.
- Leave plenty of space between you and a commercial vehicle, and minimize the time you drive between two commercial vehicles.
- Use common courtesy and drive defensively when sharing the road with larger vehicles
Trucking companies and their insurance companies often times send crash response teams to the accident scene to start building their defense immediately as critical evidence can be captured at this time. Shouldn’t you have an advocate doing the same for you?
The Lutz personal injury attorneys at Rivas Law Group have dealt with a variety of truck accident cases and have represented many victims of negligent truck drivers. Don’t wait! Call us at (813) 406-4460 and schedule an appointment with us today!